Built in the 1890's the footbridge at Stonehouse Station was in need of some refurbishment and part of the programme to upgrade stations in the western region of the rail network. Located on the Swindon to Gloucester Golden Valley line, the station was originally called Stonehouse Burdett Road to distinguish it from the second station in Bristol Road, which closed to passengers in 1965.
Although minor maintenance and several coats of paint had taken place over the years, this was the first major overhaul in its 125 year history. The decks main span was repaired by a specialist structural refurbishment company on the outskirts of Cardiff, with multiple layers of paint having been stripped back the footbridge has been restored to its former glory.
A diversion was in operation over the summer whilst the works were completed. With the works finished passengers can now once again access both platforms without having to walk under the railway bridge.